We at the UC Irvine Counseling Center are invested in assisting our students as they endeavor to achieve increasingly higher levels of wellness.
Wellness can be described as follows:
- Assessing your well-being from a positive, holistic lens
- A healthy balance of mind, body, and spirit
- A shift in focus away from illness in viewing human health
- An active process of gaining awareness and making choices that will lead to a more successful existence
The Counseling Center Village virtual pamphlet collection covers topics from A to Z. For example, under “Anxiety”, you can read about “Anxiety: How to Cope with It.” Under “Writing,” you could take a look at “Dissertation Tips.” There are hundreds of pamphlets for your exploration.
The UCI Health Education Center offers several resources for managing stress
Guided Relaxation Audio Exercises
Student Health 101
On the first of every month, UC Irvine's Student Health departments bring you an online magazine full of advice on college wellness issues.
In assessing degree of wellness, it is important to consider the separate dimensions of wellness which, in total, are assumed to represent one’s overall degree of well-being. The dimensions are observed to influence one another so that growth in one dimension is likely to influence one or more of the other wellness dimensions.
- The ability to relate and communicate well with others
- Feeling connected to one’s family as well as one’s community
- Having fulfilling friendships and intimate relationships
- The ability to understand and express your feelings
- Being able to cope with difficult emotions
- Approaching life with a sense of confidence and humor
- The sense that life is meaningful and has a purpose
- Having ethics, values, and morals that guide us
- Being connected to one’s environment and the world
- Having your mind engage actively with the world around you
- Staying informed about current events
- Seeking intellectual challenges
- Enjoying one’s academic work
- Being able to handle academic stress and demands
- Balancing academics with leisure
- Maintaining good nutrition and exercise
- Avoiding harmful habits
- Regular health care and safe sex practices
- Understanding one’s multiple identities- racial/cultural, gender, sexual orientation
- Having an overall sense of pride and self-respect
- The ability to clearly answer the question; who am I?